Thursday, August 23, 2007

ESAKUZELAYO; KUYANYIWA!!!



"What we came for, the shit is hitting the fan!!!" I think you get the gist of it! That's my title in Zulu. When I came home with the list of the books Samke didn't quiet understand how many they were until I started unpacking them. All 29 of them at a cost of $687.72! I think I'm going to establish a fund to keep me from loosing every cent I have and all of you to donate to it!!!


I have to read these things before the end of November and the list of what you read per week is scary. It means I will have no life. I think even if I hadn't come with Samke it would have been the same cause at the rate these professors are going we are gonna have no life.


Last Tuesday we went Pub Crawling and I think that will be the last. For those of you who don't know what a pub crawl is... It is when you go from one pub (bar) to another drinking. We started at 22H00 and we were going to finish at 02H00 the next morning. US nite life is bad it ends at 02H00! There were five pubs, I think, I'm not sure, can't remember, was I there too???


These professors don't know that we must also party in the middle of all this. There is already reading material for when classes begin next week and I'm already behind so shouldn't be spending my time writing this stuff but I must read. I wish I had kept up my high school reading habits but I think varsity life made me lazy to read and I am all the poorer for it.


Besides these books, there is also the chapters and books that these professors have posted on the Internet. We are expected to download them and read and prepare responses to them. Ah, Dr. Smanga Kumalo and his reading reactions from Systematics theology 1. That was just for a chapter of the systematics material notes.


I struggled to get the students in my class to read a couple of chapters per week, if I had done this I am sure they would have poisoned me very early in the year. So those that will be coming after this better pray I don't teach them cause whilst I haven't started reading this mountain; I like the system already. We need to rad more on issues we want to know about so that we don't feed people heresy and think we know the answers, whatever your field may be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kuhle manihambe kahle bhiti.

digitaldion (Dion Forster) said...

Our Comrade, Mantso Matsepe, always says that if you want to hide something from an African simply write it in a book! I think he is right! We need to learn to READ!!! However, as I constantly tell our students, we also need to learn to WRITE!

The African voice needs to be heard, we have much to say, and much that we can write that others will read.

Strength to you both!

Love and blessings, missing you guys,

D

VV said...

Sibonga kutsi nahamba kahle boKhuzwayo nokutsi nje nisaphila. By now Samke sewulikhumbulile lelo kotapeni lowalala nawuhamba or is the Mexican stuff that good? Kodwa Hawu! Hawu! Ngamabhara ngiyajabha seningashiya titokveli tingaka la Alex guys but ke all is not lost nanibuya make a date with us to Alex sitotfola umcombothi. Ngifundze nje the bar story and I could tell kutsi kukhulu lokutako now you complain about books, why I am not surprised. Hey ungalibali enakuzela lapho yilezozincwadi. Cabanga imifula nemifudlana, tigodzi netigojana enaziwela ukufika lapho ningakhohlwa yimithandazo kaMaMkhize no Mama unobhayobheli. Nize niziphathe kahle ngane zakwethu. We love u but ke now u need to go and READ and its an order.